The husband has been on a keto diet for the past 6 months (and I follow along most of the time). We’ve been trying different substitutes for noodles and pasta. We’ve tried zoodles (zuchini), sweet potato and other squash.
Our favorite has come out to be spaghetti squash. It’s easy to prep into noodle shapes and the noodles hold their form well. They tend to be more rigid than other vegetable noodles. Spaghetti squash has a thickness similar to angel hair pasta. The taste is fairly bland on its own, so it acts as great substitute for pasta.
Here are the steps to preparing spaghetti sqaush noodles:
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees.
- Cut length wise.
- Scrape seeds out.
- Season with salt & pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place on baking sheet, flesh side down.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Use a fork to “shred” the flesh into strands. It should break apart into shreds easily. From there, enjoy as you would pasta.